Bresaola is a type of Italian charcuterie made from air-dried, salted beef. The beef is typically taken from the hindquarters of the animal and is salted and seasoned with various herbs and spices, such as rosemary, garlic, and black pepper. It is then air-dried for several weeks or months until it becomes firm and has a deep red color.
Bresaola is a lean meat with a rich flavor and is usually served thinly sliced as an antipasto or as a sandwich meat. It is low in fat and high in protein, making it a popular choice among health-conscious consumers. Bresaola is often compared to other cured meats such as prosciutto and salami, but its flavor and texture are unique.
- The Bresaola Spice Blend is formulated for making a delicious cured version of beef eye of round.
- Bresaola is a well-known Italian and Swiss charcuterie made from beef.
- The ingredients in the blend include sugar, black pepper, juniper berry, rosemary, and thyme.
- The recommended usage is 6 tsp per pound of meat or the whole packet for five pounds of beef eye of round.
- To prepare, add the Charcuterie Spice Blend to pre-measured 3% Kosher salt and 0.25% #2 Curing Salt or try UMAi Dry Premixed Curing Salts for a 5 lb recipe.
- Coat the meat completely and seal it in a vacuum bag or resealable bag.
- Allow the meat to cure for two full weeks in the refrigerator.
- After curing, remove the meat from the bag and rinse it.
- Place the meat into a UMAi Dry bag while still well-coated with moisture.
- Apply UMAi Dry with a vacuum sealer, immersion, or netting method.
- If you are going to tie the charcuterie to shape it, it is best to apply butcher's twine over the UMAi Dry membrane.
- The blend does not contain Kosher salt or #2 Curing Salt, which are necessary for safety curing charcuterie.