Spice Blend Formulated by Umai Dry landjaeger seasoning, this solid traditional blend of spices gives you the flavor of German-style hunters' sausage - Landjaeger.
Formulated just for UMAi Dry, this solid traditional blend of spices gives you the flavor of German-style hunters' sausage - Landjaeger.
Ingredients: Dextrose, Black Pepper, Sugar Ginger, Coriander, Red Pepper, Smoke Powder
Usage for 5 lb recipe: After mixing in Salt and #2 Curing Salt, add the contents of the package to the sausage meat mix. Toss together thoroughly. Knead in dissolved Starter Culture and dextrose.
This blend does not contain: Salt, #2 Curing Salt, or Starter Culture for creating a robust culture all of which are necessary for making traditional fermented slow dried sausage.
1. Weigh ingredients: 3% kosher salt and 0.25% #2 Curing Salt -OR- use Premixed Curing Salts Blend. NOTE: Dry fermented sausage is best with 20% fat, pork back fat being optimal for appearance of final product.
2. Activate Starter Culture: For 5# of meat, use approx. 1/8-1/4 tsp of T-SPX, 1/4-1/2 powdered dextrose, then dissolve in 1 tbsp room temp de-chlorinated water.
3. Grind cold meat with 16mm or larger grind plate.
4. Combine meat and starter culture solution thoroughly..
5. Mix in kosher salt, curing salt and spice blend.
6. Stuff with dedicated stuffer, NOTE: Do not use blender attachment to stuff as it will destroy the particle definition necessary for fermentation and drying.
7. Weigh several sticks and mark both start weight and target weight--less 35-40%.
8. Slow ferment 24-72 hours at room temperature in a protected area. A "blush" should be perceptible. Do not ferment longer than 72 hours.
9. Refrigerate on open wire rack. Dry until reaching 35-40% weight loss.
10. Transfer finished product to vacuum packaging to equalize moisture level edge-to-edge. Store in refrigerator or freezer.
- Ingredients: Dextrose, Black Pepper, Sugar Ginger, Coriander, Red Pepper, Smoke Powder